Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: AG doll care question?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member 3castles's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2006
    Posts
    372
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    Olay all you AG doll experts, I need your help! Can anyone advise me as to keeping an AG doll in tip top shape? My DD got Samantha for Christmas and is neurotic about taking good care of her. She saw the doll cleaning powder in the catalog and thought that she should order that so that she could clean her periodically since she plays with her ALL the time. Is this worth the money or is there some type of home remedy that would work just as good?? I thought about baking soda but, I don't want to chance it if it would scratch her. I'm really glad that she wants to take such good care of her I just don't know if it's worth the money to order. Shipping is like $7.50 which is very expensive I think. She is saving for Jess and is only $17 away right now. Please Advise!!!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member dolllover's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2004
    Posts
    2,583
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't have the cleansing powder, but have heard form board members that it is just Baking Soda.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member BananaSmoothie's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2005
    Posts
    44
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Welcome to the board!

    I think that the doll care set is only Baking Soda, that's what I heard. I have the powder myself and I can check.

    Glad you daughter is enjoying her new Sam doll [img]smile.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Martina's*Mommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 28th, 2006
    Posts
    108
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't know about the powder, but you'll really need the special hairbrush for the dolls and always mist her hair with water before combing it - the hairdos come out much better this way. There's also a set offered by AG, complete with styling-cape, brush, curlers and misting-bottle.
    Definetely a good buy!
    Also take care, that your DD and her doll don't use the same hair-thingies - human hair contains some oils, that can damage doll hair.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member gubbymj's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2005
    Posts
    74
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have used Mr. Clean eraser on a couple of dolls that we got off ebay and it worked wonders!!!

    Even took some really yucky soot looking black stuff off a today doll of my friends...the doll didn't smell like smoke, but must have been stored in a house where they liked to burn candles...
    I swear by the Mr. Clean magic eraser...it really is wonderful!

    ;o)
    Mary Jo

  6. #6
    Inactive Member 3castles's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2006
    Posts
    372
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    Thanks Ya'll!!!
    I think I may not order the cleansing powder now.
    But will get the brush! Right now she's been using a little hairbrush with wire bristles that looked the same as the AG ones, but I think I'll go ahead and order the set with the bottle. I'm glad that you brought up about misting the hair because that's another question that I had. I wondered what was in the misting bottle or if you just put water in it. I will have her start misting. She was (without my knowledge)brushing Sam's hair everyday but, I told her that I didn't know if that was such a good idea. She now brushes it only a couple of times a week. Was that right? Can't you brush it too much? My mom said that on the old wigs that she used to wear in the 60's that they didn't usually brush them a lot. They kind of treated them 'gently'.
    Thanks for all your help!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Martina's*Mommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 28th, 2006
    Posts
    108
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was told, that it is nearly impossible to rebraid Moly's hair properly - but with a good round of misting, it worked out really great. I don't know, is it possible to brush the hair too often, I guess, if you do it in the way, AG recommends, the hair should be fine and surely, with your DD playing with her a lot, it needs to be brushed often, to avoid tangles.

  8. #8
    Ashley1972
    Guest Ashley1972's Avatar

    Post

    Make sure you don't get any water into her eyes! It can cause rusting. The cleansing powder is just baking soda. You shouldn't use it on the eyes either. I agree that a wire wig brush is a must. Plastic can make the hair frizzy.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member 3castles's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2006
    Posts
    372
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    OOOOOOO! Thanks for the tip on the eyes! I KNEW that about the rusting, but had forgotten it!!!
    Major thanks! I think I will make her doll an eye mask just for misting to be on the safe side!
    I don't want her to get too wild with the spraying!!!!!! Thanks so much all of you!

  10. #10
    Inactive Member DaisyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2005
    Posts
    646
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Don't waste your money on the skin care kit!!! It really is only baking soda. I use a soft baby washcloth that I dip the corner of into water an squeeze out, then dab into baking soda and scrub the vinyl. It works great! I also have a small child's toothbrush that I use dry to clean mouths, ears, hands and feet. I haven't tried the Mr. Clean magic eraser yet, but I have heard good things about it. I have also used rubbing alcohol with q-tips to get out tougher grime. Don't use nail polish remover. There are two types, with or without acetone, one of which will destroy the vinyl. I can never remember which is which, so I just use alcohol, which accomplishes the same cleaning task.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •